Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Freedman's Cottage Ghost

20"x 24" - Oil
I've been exploring the Charleston freedman's cottages, so common in former black neighborhoods throughout the city.  Freedman's cottages have been the subject of architectural study and was recently featured in the book "The Charleston Freedman's Cottage: An Architectural Tradition" by Lissa D"Aquisto Felzer and Harlan Greene.
 
I spotted this house, located off Nunan Street in Grants Court, while driving around in my childhood neighborhood looking for scenes to paint.  Actually I saw it a over year ago, and it recently called me back for a closer look.  I knew I had to do a painting of it.  I named it "Freedman's Cottage Ghost" because of the haunting feelings it evokes in me. This painting is now on display in the "Contemporary Cross Currents" art exhibit of works by 12 artists at the Charleston Convention Center in North Charleston until November 30.

No comments: