Saturday, January 30, 2016




I painted this small watercolor of a Sasanqua camellia, 6"x 6", to honor the late Tony Csavas, who taught me Painting II at the College of Charleston in 2010. We continued our friendship when I shopped at Artist & Craftsman art supply store in downtown Charleston, where Tony worked part time when not teaching. Tony committed suicide by jumping from the Ravenel Bridge in 2014. I was devastated when I heard the news. Yesterday, "Flowers for Tony", an exhibit of his paintings, organized prior to his death and on view last year in New Orleans, opened at the City Gallery at Waterfront Park here in Charleston. A couple of weeks ago, a call for submissions went out to Tony's friends, colleagues and former students to contribute small paintings, which are also on display in the show. The exhibit runs through March 6. My piece was hung just above a small portrait of Tony - Really nice guy - Awesome Art Exhibit!

No comments: